Disney, ABC sue US regulator over threats to broadcast licenses
DIS•Disney and ABC sue FCC over license review
Disney and its ABC unit sued the Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday to block an early review of licenses for eight ABC stations, arguing the Trump administration is trying to punish the network over its broadcast content.
President Donald Trump has repeatedly urged broadcasters to drop comedy or news programs he dislikes or which have been critical, pressing the FCC on numerous occasions to revoke ABC's licenses.
In a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Washington, Disney said the FCC was seeking to coerce and retaliate against "a network that refuses to bow to the administration's demands".
Disney and ABC asked the court to quickly issue a temporary restraining order halting the license renewal proceedings and preventing the FCC from scheduling a hearing. The company said the public comment period ended earlier this month and the FCC could act at any time.
The lawsuit alleges the administration is violating the company's First Amendment free speech rights.




