US health department seeks public feedback on vaccine guidelines after Trump order
XLV•Trump order and Kennedy's anti-vaccine push
Trump signed an executive order earlier this month to limit the inoculation schedule to 11 immunizations, saying it would give U.S. children "gold-standard" protection, and directed officials to review the timing and sequencing of vaccinations.
The order advances a long-standing goal of Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., an anti-vaccine activist who has promoted a link between vaccines and autism that scientists have repeatedly debunked.
Public comment period runs through September 20
Members of the public, including parents, doctors and health officials, have until September 20 to submit their comments to the health department.
HHS asks about shared decision-making and public trust
Currently, vaccines are categorized as routine for everyone, risk-based for specific groups, or left to shared decision-making between patients and doctors.
HHS is specifically seeking feedback on shared decision-making, including its potential risks such as confusion among patients and doctors, lower vaccination rates and added time for clinicians.
The agency noted that public trust in federal health authorities fell during and after the COVID-19 pandemic. It cited concerns that some past recommendation processes were seen as rushed or overconfident, which hurt the overall credibility of the vaccine system.
The department said the feedback would help inform its consideration of whether the current framework adequately supports scientific rigor, informed choice and public trust.
Health department seeks comments on vaccine recommendation categories
The U.S. health department said on Friday it was seeking public feedback on federal vaccine recommendations, including how they are categorized and communicated, after President Donald Trump's executive order calling for fewer childhood vaccinations.




