Oil inches up as US-Iran peace deal fades
XLE•Iran, Trump comments and market reaction
Iran will keep the strait closed until the U.S. meets the conditions of the interim deal signed in June, top Iranian negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said in comments published by state media on Tuesday.
Trump, who previously labeled that deal "over," said on Tuesday that talks between Washington and Tehran were neither taking place nor scheduled, but the Strait of Hormuz was open. His comments were met with a muted market reaction.
"What you are seeing today is headline fatigue. Trump saying there are no talks does not change the physical setup at all, since there were no real talks in the first place and the physical stack has not materially changed in two weeks," Tracy Shuchart, senior economist at NinjaTrader, said.
Qalibaf's comments came after a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday that Iran will shift to a "fully offensive" military posture as efforts have stalled towards a permanent end to the war.



